An emulsion is a mixture of two liquids that cannot easily be combined. Oil and water is the classic example. Emulsifying is done by slowly adding one ingredient to another while simultaneously mixing rapidly. This disperses and suspends tiny droplets of one liquid through another.
- Product Stability – In the case of wax emulsion, paraffin wax remains solid at room temperature.
An emulsified paraffin wax offers a product that remains liquid and stable in typical manufacturing settings.
- Product Efficiencies – The emulsification process reduces the particle size as compared to slack wax, which results in better distribution and coverage on a substrate and the potential to reduce amount applied.
- Cost Savings – Compared to 100% Petroleum or synthetic based waxes, emulsions result in a general cost savings because water makes up a large percentage of the formula so there is less raw material used.
- Operational Savings – Emulsified waxes do not need high temperature storage, saving on heating and transfer costs.
- Engineered / Composite Wood
- Sealants and Sundries
- Gypsum Board
- Fiberglass Insulation
- Pulp and Paper
- Road Construction
- We also offer Custom Solutions and Tolling
Bio-based products have an alternative base wax or oil derived from nature, i.e. soy, tallow etc. that offer an innovative and sustainable options for our customers.
The addition of wax emulsion in the making of engineered wood such as MDF, PB or OSB provides dimensional stability and water repellency.
Walker offers a variety of wax products including 100% Petroleum based (paraffin) wax, Synthetic based (Alpha Olefin), Bio-based, Tallow and vegetable-based waxes, FDA approved waxes, and Emulsified (paraffin/synthetic, surfactant, water) waxes.
Yes. Our wax emulsions easily mix with PF (Phenol Formaldehyde), UF (Urea Formaldehyde), MDI (Methylene diphenyl diisocyanate) and pMDI (polymeric diphenylmethane diisocyanate) resins under normal operating conditions. Our technical group can recommend additional options for specific needs upon request.
Emulsions are susceptible to mechanical shear, because of this it is recommended to use a positive displacement pump with a hydraulically balanced diaphragm design, which are least harsh on emulsions.
Several manufacturers including Hydra-Cell are used industry wide to pump emulsified wax. When formulating an emulsion, our team can also tailor the formula to fit your particular equipment setup and needs.
Technical Info, Storage and Handling
Emulsions are stored between 5-30C (40-85F) in bulk tanks or tote bins with agitation at room temperature depending on the solids content of the emulsion. Do not store emulsion waxes below 0C/32F. More information on the proper storage and handling of emulsions can be found in each product TSDS and SDS. Our expert sales and technical experts can also provide best storage practices and recommendations dependent on your particular product.
Emulsions that are subjected to freezing break down and are no longer adequate for the designed use. When storage temperatures fall below 5C / 40F this may lead to product instability. As the products is thawed and heated (when previously frozen), the product may remain non-homogeneous even after
The TSDS and SDS for each product are supplied when purchasing. If you require additional copies, you can contact your sales representative or customer service and they will send the file requested.
Whether we are customizing existing products or innovating new ones, our emulsions are consistently formulated to suit our customers’ needs. Learn more about our custom solutions.
Ordering and Delivery
Walker Emulsions is strategically located in Orangeburg, SC; Portland, OR; and Burlington, ON making us a great choice for supply throughout North America and beyond.
Products are packaged in a variety of sizes ranging from pails, drums, totes, to bulk tank trucks and rail cars. Depending on the product, they are shipped on land by truck or train.
All our products can be ordered by speaking to a sales representative. Fill out our Ask Us A Question form or visit our contact page to get in touch with a salesperson.
Lead time is dependent on manufacturing load, distance from the plant, and transportation availability. We regularly fill truckload orders within 7-10 business days and suggest requirements for larger supply orders (such as a railcar) be discussed with your sales representative. If you require a shorter lead time, speak with your sales representative as lead times can be modified based on raw material and transportation availability.
Support and Customer Service
Each of our facilities is equipped with state of the art laboratories able to offer testing for an array of products and applications. Our technical support is available for on-site support.
- Yes. Dependent on your needs, Walker has a number of operational equipment/technology options available.
- We are staffed with experts in spray technology, spray booth design, plant system equipment design and provide portable trial equipment.
- We have also partnered with SMARTECH as the exclusive vendor in North America of the proprietary, patent-protected SmartWaxSys wax suspension system.
- Additionally, we can offer guidance and supply of equipment for spray application of edge seal and dosing optimization in pulp and paper.
Each of our manufacturing facilities is equipped with a laboratory where QA is performed. Products are developed and rigorously tested in our labs prior to manufacturing. We use a combination of in-house and on-site control measures to ensure our finished product is of high quality and makes your product perform at its best.
Products are manufactured to exacting standards. Every shipment is supplied with a certificate of analysis with the specifications of key product quality indicators. No product is shipped unless it meets these exacting specifications that have been agreed upon with our customer.